Monday, January 23, 2006

Quote for the day

From Don Miller's Through Painted Deserts (pp. 90-91).

I was raised to believe that the quality of a man's life would greatly increase, not with the gain of status or success, not by his heart's knowing romance or by prosperity in industry or academia, but by his nearness to God. It confuses me that Christian living is not simpler. The gospel, the very good news, is simple, but this is the gate, the trailhead. Ironing out faithless creases is toilsome labor.
...
Matter and thought are a canvas on which God paints, a painting with tragedy and delivery, with sin and redemption. Life is a dance toward God, I begin to think. And the dance is not so graceful as we might want. While we glide and swing our practiced sway, God crowds our feet, bumps our toes, and scuffs our shoes. So we learn to dance with the One who made us. And it is a difficult dance to learn, because its steps are foreign.


And so with toilsome labor I seek to iron out the faithless creases in my own life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Morris said...

And the question comes up in my mind this morning whether I'm trying to do in my own strength and talent that for which I should be relying upon the power of the Holy Spirit. But since my strength and talent are both gifts from God, where is the balance point?
Unanswerable questions, probably, but worth searching the soul over.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home