Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Thoughts on worship from Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson, pastor of Lighthouse Baptist Church in Seaside California, hosts a web site called Fresh Ministry. As a co-laborer in our Master’s field, Wilson seeks to share observations and ideas about how to keep what we do as a church relevant in a rapidly changing society. He doesn’t claim to have all the answers, but he seeks to offer information and ideas to others hoeing the same tough row (to preserve the agricultural metaphor). He shared some thoughts on worship recently in his online journal (www.blog.freshministry.org).

Today Alito is sworn in as Associate Justice. It seems like an eternity since President Bush nominated him. But I still remember a couple of things he said during his remarks after being nominated to replace Justice O’Connor on the United States Supreme Court, Judge Samuel Alito said. “The Supreme Court is an institution that I have long held in reverence.” Later, he commented, “I argued my first case before the Supreme Court in 1982, and I still vividly recall that day. I remember the sense of awe that I felt when I stepped up to the lectern …”

He holds the court in reverence; standing at the lectern he had a sense of awe. Those are the same feeling we should experience as we stand before a Holy God ready to bring Him praise, adoration and worship.

Reverence and awe has nothing to do with the way we dress and everything to do with the attitude we have in our heart as we approach God.

Hebrews 12:28-29 (HCSB) “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us hold on to grace. By it, we may serve God acceptably, with reverence and awe; [29] for our God is a consuming fire.”

I don’t plan on waiting ’til Sunday to worship God. I hope you don’t either.


That’s enough to think about for now …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home