Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Disappearing Hymnal

My dated hymnal has disappeared, and I'm frustrated without it.

Let me explain:

Many Ministers of Music keep a hymnal in which they write the date each hymn has been used. It serves as a useful tool to keep us from neglecting some wonderful worship materials while encouraging us not to overuse others. Mine disappeared from my office (or at least disappeared from view) a couple of weeks ago and I have yet to discover its whereabouts. Things can hide in my office fairly easily -- not because it's large, but for other reasons which you can imagine. One of two things is true about the whereabouts of my hymal (I'm making lists lately ... wonder what that means?):
  1. I misplaced it somewhere and can't remember what I did with it.
  2. Someone needed a hymnal, knew they could find one in my office, and hasn't returned it yet.

If the latter is the case, I hope that the borrower returns it soon. I've been wracking my brain about the former and cannot for the life of me locate the thing. I leave my office unlocked most of the time because anyone who needs resources that I have is welcome to them. I can usually spare what you need from my office ... at least temporarily. I need that dated hymnal ASAP, though, if for no other reason than to set one up in the air matter at rest.

To quote the last phrase of the Swingle Singers' rendition of Arkansas Traveler and other folk songs: "Thanks for listening. That's all."

1 Comments:

Blogger JATB said...

I hope you find it. I know how frustrating that can be. I do the same thing at our church. I was referring to putting dates in the hymnal, but I could just have easily been referring to losing books.

My beloved old RSV New Oxford Annotated Bible was "missing" for over a month, until I found it in my briefcase.

Sigh.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home