Tuesday, April 25, 2006

From 4/19 - A Place for Everyone

I just got Kyle Matthews’ new CD in the mail yesterday. I have listened to it in the background while working to dig out from under the mountains of music that have piled up during the renovation and Easter music preparation. One song has caught my attention more than any other. Based on Luke 14:15-24 and John 12:32, the words go like this:

Went to a church that was on a mission
They try to stamp out sin
But since they’ve thrown all the sinners out
Now, nobody can go in

Chorus:
Is no one looking for a place for everyone?
Isn’t anyone looking for a place for everyone?

Went to a club with a long tradition
They raise the social bar
Now they know who they won’t let in
But they don’t know who they are

(Chorus)

Bridge:
Jesus warned us, if we lift him up
We might not like what we find
‘Cause when perfect love is lifted up
It draws all humankind

I dreamed I died and joined the millions
There at the Pearly Gates
But when they saw who’d gone in before them
They turned away and said, “No, thanks”
They turned away and said, “No, thanks”

(Chorus)
In case you're wondering, here are the scriptures that inspired the song:
When one of those at the table with him heard this, he said to Jesus, “Blessed is the man who will eat at the feast in the kingdom ofGod.” Jesus replied: “A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, `Come, for everything is now ready.’ But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, `I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.’ Another said, `I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.’ Still another said, `I just got married, so I can’t come.’ The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, `Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.’ (Luke 14:15-21, NIV)


And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself (John 12:32, NASV)
Kind of reminds me of what Jim Somerville said during the revival about us ranking visitors as to whether they were “good prospects” or not. It’s not for us to say. Oddly enough, Kyle’s new CD is entitled “What Shall We Say?”. That’s enough to think about for now …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home