Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Musings – A Little Valentine’s Day Levity

Last week we dealt with a topic that was a little deep and brain-straining (I’ll admit it even if you won’t. Sometimes when I try to think deep thoughts my brain hurts). Today in celebration of Valentine’s Day … and in praise of God who is the source of all joyful laughter … I thought I’d share the words to one of my favorite children’s songs. Enjoy Tom Chapin’s Two Kinds of Seagulls.
There's two kinds of seagulls: he-gulls and she-gulls.
He-gulls like she-gulls and that's why there's seagulls.
There's two kinds of pythons: girl-thons and guy-thons.

Girl-thons like guy-thons and that's why there's pythons.

There's two kinds of wombats: Dad-bats and Mom-bats.

Dad-bats dig Mom-bats and that's why there's wombats.
And there's two kinds of squirrels: himmels and herrels.

Himmels are nuts about herrels and that's why there's squirrels.

Most creatures come in pairs. That's the way they mingle.

One kind only would be lonely. It takes two to tingle.

There's two kinds of penguins: lady-guins and men-guins.

Lady-guins flip for men-guins and that's why there's penguins.
There's two kinds of blackbirds: jill-birds and jack-birds.

Jill-birds thrill jack-birds and that's why there's blackbirds.

There's two kinds of lizards: herzards and hizards.

Herzards think hizards are wizards and that's why there's lizards.
There's two kinds of llamas: papas and mamas.

They wear different pajamas and that's why there's llamas.


Most creatures come in pairs. That's the way they mingle.

One kind only would be lonely. It takes two to tingle.

There's two kinds of peoples: he-ples and she-ples.

He-ples like she-ples. She-ples like he-ples.
And that's why there's me-ples, and you-ples, … and peoples.


Yes, Tom Chapin is brother of Harry Chapin (who wrote and recorded the bitter-sweet song Cat’s Cradle – a song I find it hard to listen to without feeling guilty about my level of involvement in my boys’ lives). Two Kinds of Seagulls just makes me smile. I hope it did the same for you. That's enough to think about for now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home