Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Before the Throne of God Above

I recognize that my Musings of late have been more about sharing the inspiration of others rather than coming up with “new” insights on my own. I hope it’s just a phase. Parenting teenagers makes it easy for me to live a pace that is far too hurried for my own sanity. I do still have occasional flashes of insight … but they usually come when I’m some place where it’s impossible to write things down before they slip away into oblivion.

I’d rather give you good stuff written by others than bad stuff written by me, so let me share a hymn text that has been “rediscovered” by some contemporary artists in the past decade or so. The text is by Charitie Lees Bancroft (1841-1932). Vikki Cook crafted a melody for the text in 1997. Several artists have recorded it since then.

Before the Throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea
A great High Priest Whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me
My name is graven on His hands
My name is written on His heart
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me

Before Him there the Risen Lamb
My perfect spotless righteousness
The unchangeable I Am
The King of Glory and of Grace
One with Himself I cannot die
My soul is purchased with His blood
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God

I am deeply encouraged about the future of thoughtful worship whenever I find a gem like this amid a sea of trite, over-repeated phraseology set to no melody and a catchy rhythm. That’s enough to think about for now. The peace of Christ to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home