Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Augh!

A friend of mine says he doesn’t blog because he doesn’t feel that what he has to say is profound enough for publication. Anyone who has read my musings for long knows that I borrow [and cite sources for] much of the profound material I use. I blog sometimes just to get things off my mind … as a simple cathartic exercise. If you read many blogs (I frequent only 2 or 3 … think of them as online newspaper editorials) you will understand that I am far from alone in this process. Let the catharsis begin:

We now officially have a 16-year-old in the house. As of 3:20 this afternoon (at least, I think I remember that’s what time he was born), the toothpick (2thpik@bellsouth.net) officially turns 16. Sixteen! How did this happen? Where did all the time go? When we pause to think about it, there has been an awful lot of water over the dam since he was born. What a wild ride it has been thus far!

Time just begins to move faster and faster and faster. That skinny boy thinks he’s going to be taller than I am soon. He is 5’8”+ and has gotten there by growing a half-inch a month over the past few. He still only weighs about 105 (which is why we call him the toothpick). At least I know it will take him a long time to accumulate as much mass as I have (but I have been eating longer than he has, now haven't I?).

In addition, we have the college search on the horizon as well. We’re planning on going to look at some colleges over Spring Break. Sending him off to function on his own for weeks at a time is scarier than sending him out in a car by himself. If he drives himself to school we’ll be doing both.

With all that to think about, I don’t have time to think anything profound. My friend Charles (http://www.blogitch.blogspot.com/) writes about deep theological, philosophical, and political issues. I, on the other hand publish only once a week because I’m sure nobody wants to hear my opinion on the latest developments on American Idol. I’m not even going to get to watch the results of last night’s AI tonight because we’re using the DVR to re-record Celtic Woman because we lost the previous recording due to some hardware problems our equipment was experiencing. If you haven’t seen (or heard) Celtic Woman, you don’t know what you’re missing.

Anyhow, in the face of the rapid passing of time and our boys’ breakneck growth rate, the most profound thing I can say is again borrowed from somebody else; from one of the first philosophers I ever remember reading: Charles M. Schultz.

AUGH!

I’m glad he knew how to spell it. That’s enough to think about for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home