Tuesday, May 08, 2007

A Few Principles of Jewish Buddhism

Anyone who has been reading my blog for any length of time (get a life, maybe?) knows that I sometime try to share something profound, but sometimes just have to let my silly side show through. I did a brief google search for an old friend and found the following on a newsletter for a center that provides support for people struggling with addiction. It's silly, to be sure, but scripture tells us that laughter is good not only for the heart, but also for the soul. Enjoy!

  • There is no escaping karma. In a previous life, you never called, you never wrote, you never visited. And whose fault was that?
  • Be aware of your body. Be aware of you perceptions. Be aware that not every physical sensation is a symptom of a terminal illness.
  • Be patient and achieve all things. Be impatient and achieve all things faster.
  • If there is no self, whose arthritis is this?
  • Let your mind be as a floating cloud. Let your stillness be as the wooded glen. And sit up straight. You’ll never meet the Buddha with such round shoulders.
  • To practice Zen and the art of Jewish motorcycle maintenance, do the following: get rid of the motorcycle. What were you thinking?

I love that. It reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

Q: "How many Jewish mothers does it take to change a light bulb?"

A: "Never mind, I'll just sit here in the dark."

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger JATB said...

Fran Drescher told this about 10 years ago on the Tonight Show and I'm still laughing:

The Russian man says, "I'm tired. I'm thirsty. I must have vodka!"

The Italian man says, "I'm tired. I'm thirsty. I must have vino!"

The Jewish man says, "I'm tired. I'm thirsty. I must have diabetes!"

11:23 PM  
Blogger Morris said...

Refusing to blog in IM-ese, I say, "Laughing out loud."

OK, I didn't really, but I now have a new joke to tell and can't wait to share it!

With fond memories of Samford days when Jeff Stith and I used to just trade punch lines because we had usually already heard the joke. They were even funnier without the setup.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home