Wednesday, April 01, 2009

So I'm the April Fool on This One

Last Friday morning I was heading to Greenville around 7:00 or 7:30, hoping to get to the surgery center in time to be with some fairly young parents in the church as one of their twins was undergoing a tympanotomy. By the time I got there, they were already on their way home … but it wasn’t a completely wasted trip because I caught a glimpse of truth about me.

The weather and the early morning available light conditions required that we use headlights while on the highway ... not just so that the driver could see, but so that others could see the cars. I’ve always been a rule-follower about this kind of thing – and not just a compliant rule-follower, but one of those obnoxious ones who also lets you know if you’re not following the rules. For example, there are a couple of places on our campus there are signs that say “NO PARKING AT ANY TIME.” It frustrates me that many of our people ignore those signs. What is so hard to understand about “NO PARKING”? Are you so selfish that you think the signs don’t apply to you? I freely admit that it’s silly of me to do so, but I still waste emotional energy over it.

Anyway, as traffic got heavier around Simpsonville, there were a couple of cars in my vicinity that did not have their headlights on. I flashed my lights at a couple of them, but on they continued ... driving dark ... in total oblivion to endangering others by their neglect.

“That’s it,” I thought angrily. “It probably won’t change anything, but this is showing up in my Musings. Somebody’s going to read how I feel about this!” With an air of superiority (bordering on boorishness), I began to compose in my head what I would write once I got the opportunity. I would extil the virtues of following rules, how they are meant for the good of all, etc. And I would enjoy just being right.

On my way home, there was more sunlight, but the fog was still hanging heavy over the ground. Weather and traffic conditions still called for headlights and most cars and trucks around me had them on. I was still composing my self-righteous rant when a car that really needed lights on appeared in my vicinity. As I reached for the switch to blink my lights at them, I discovered that my lights also were … OFF. Then scripture hit me:

“Do not judge others and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging will be the standard by which you will be judged.” (Mt. 7:1-2, NLT)

And all of a sudden I began to think about giving grace to others. That’s enough to think about for now. The peace of Christ to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home