Monday, August 13, 2007

We're NOT Planning to Do That

[with a heavy sigh]
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not certain that what you think you heard is exactly what I meant."

I learned yesterday (8/13/07) that some of our church members have read some of my previous blog entries and have taken a meaning that I absolutely did not intend. I wish to set the record straight and attempt to clear up any misunderstanding.

The staff and leadership IS NOT considering merging our two very different Sunday morning worship services into one blended service ... nor are we planning to do so in the future. I have re-read some of my previous blogs to try to find where I may have accidentally communicated otherwise, but I can't find it. One seldom successfully proofreads his or her own work, though. The closest thing I can come to is the link I made to the article by Scott Wesley Brown a few entries back. In that article, Brown advocates that individual churches move to a unified approach to worship. Hear me clearly on this, my people. That idea is very attractive to me personally, but we are not seeking to lead this church in that direction.

Our "contemporary" service is designed that way because we have members who connect with God more easily with that style of worship. Our "traditional" service is designed as it is for the very same reason. What I desire for our people is that we stop being so defensive about our preferences and so insensitive to people whose preferences differ.

If therefore there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself: do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. (Philippians 2:1-4, NASV)

It breaks my heart that the worship of God ... that which should unify us ... becomes an issue of division because of style preferences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home