Thursday, January 03, 2008

Not exactly how I planned it

I really don't have time to do this, but I need a brain break from my work before I go get the toothpick (age 16 ... 5'10" tall and 110lb. soaking wet) from school so we can drive to a neighboring town so he can retrieve his nice heavy jacket (definitely needed these past couple of days) from the movie theater where it has been since Sunday night (long story ... couldn't have been his fault because he left it by accident, not on purpose).

On New Year's Day as I was waiting for the toothpick to drive me to Wal-Mart (still working on getting our hours in so he can get his license), I used the few minutes I had to go under the house and replace the main filter in the hvac system. While under the house, I heard the distinct sound of water dripping from a pipe onto the plastic moisture barrier we have down there. I had to investigate ... and learned that Providence had placed me under the house just as a pipe was failing so that I could repair it myself instead of having to call a plumber on an emergency basis.

Any ordinary day, the situation would have required a quick trip to the local True Value, buy the parts, come back and install them ... probably 45-minutes total to fix the leak. But it was New Years Day and we're a small town. Thankfully Lowe's in the next town over was open, but only until 6pm. It was a 60 mile round trip (which feels really long if you've lived in small towns for 15 years ... which we have) for parts costing $2.75 including tax (and I could have gotten by with less, but I bought teflon tape even though I thought I still had some from a previous plumbing job).

So the toothpick got a little more driving time than we had set out for, and by the time we got back home and I got the repair completed it was time to help get supper ready (we had guests coming) and I lost the time to do with the boys what I had originally planned to do: open an air-rifle that a dear friend gave us a couple of years ago for their use whenever I felt they were ready to learn how to handle one and teach them how to shoot. I don't know when we'll get to do that, but we aren't leaking water under the house any more.

It wasn't exactly how I had hoped to spend the afternoon, but God is still good. One day we'll learn how to shoot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home